Many cost-conscious consumers are hiring jewelry brokers to assist them in the purchase of expensive items and gemstones. The advantages of working with a jewelry broker are three-fold:
1. Significantly Lower Cost - You will be purchasing directly from a private consigned item or below wholesale dealer.
2. Higher Quality - A qualified jewelry broker assures that the color, cut, clarity and weight of any gem or jewelry item you consider purchasing is accurately and fairly described by the seller.
3. Time Saved - The jewelry broker is responsible for locating in the world markets the 3 or 4 items that best meet your desires and budget. In short, because the jewelry broker works for you, you avoid retail mar-ups, misrepresented or misgraded items, and the time and frustration needed to locate and compare different items in different jewelry stores.
The key to successfully working with a jewelry broker is to first find one who is knowledgeable and committed to working for you. There are many individuals who are willing to sell you jewelry and gems, but few who will work in your best interests. To help you find a qualified person, I offer the following guidelines:
1. A qualified jewelry broker must work with independent experts in the appraisal and grading of gems and jewelry. At a minimum, the broker should work with an Independent Graduate Gemologist (GG) trained by the Gemological Institute of America and a Certified Gemologist Appraiser accredited by the American Gem Society. Each of these organizations is dedicated to gemological excellence and enforces very high professional standards for their accredited members.
2. In addition to expertise in evaluating gems and jewelry, an independent expert must also be knowledgeable about markups, the retail, wholesale and alternative markets for gems and jewelry. You want to work with a jewelry broker who knows where to find the specific items you desire and how to negotiate the lowest possible cost.
When choosing a jewelry broker, invest the time to learn about their experts’ credentials, experience in the markets, and willingness to openly work with you. A qualified jewelry broker will respect your concerns and gladly answer any questions. They will also take the time to learn about what you desire in a gem and educate you about the brokering process. If they do not, keep on looking!
Valerie Crisman knows what it takes to provide you with the quality and value you desire.
ba Global search of Ideal Diamonds and Gemstones
Complimentary Cleaning and Inspection
Remounting of your own precious Diamonds and Gemstones
Fine Jewelry Repair and Antique Restorations
Professional Appraisal Services Available